Rabbit Awareness Week 2019 is running from the 1st to the 9th June.
Rabbits are one of the most neglected pets in the UK with many people being unaware of their specific needs.
Rabbits have 5 key welfare needs:
- Diet – an appropriate diet with plenty of fibre (such as grass and hay). Muesli-style diets are extremely bad for rabbits.
- Companionship – rabbits need the company of other rabbits and should be neutered to avoid unwanted extras!
- Health – rabbits need vaccinating against myxomatosis and both strains of rabbit viral haemorrhagic disease (RVHD). They also need protecting against fly strike and should be taken to a vet immediately at any sign of illness.
- Environment – rabbits need safe, secure housing with plenty of space to exercise at the times they want to.
- Behaviour – rabbits need the opportunity to exhibit normal behaviour. This involves giving them the companionship, space and diet mentioned above.
Please find some webinars on rabbit care below and don’t forget to enter our Rabbit Awareness Week competition!