Help! My dog’s eaten something poisonous!

Dogs are great at finding food.  Unfortunately they are not always so good at knowing what’s bad for them.  Dogs will eat all sorts of stupid things and get themselves into lots of trouble.  They are also not very good at learning from their mistakes so will often be repeat offenders!

If you notice your dog has eaten something they shouldn’t, act quickly.  The sooner treatment is initiated, the lower the risk of long-term or serious consequences.  If you are not sure whether what your dog has eaten is dangerous, the best port of call is the Animal Poisonline on 01202 509000.  They will be able to tell you whether or not your pet needs to see a vet.  Please note there is a £30 fee for this service which is refundable if your vet calls about the same condition.

Below is a list of common poisons in dogs.  Click on the link to find out what to do if your dog eats one.

  • Chocolate
  • Rat poison
  • Raisins/Sultanas
  • Xylitol (sweetener) – e.g. Chewing gum
  • Slug pellets
  • Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication (e.g. Ibruprofen, Aspirin, Meloxicam, Carprofen)